Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Stamp

I was telling an artist I know, Wayne P, about my bad poems. He said he would say "What would Wayne write?" In other words, you think yourself as the arbiter of what you like, not someone else outside of yourself or some superego telling you what you can and cannot do.

Of course, when you're younger you take more seriously some things like that. You give credence is someone is a published poet, or you want to get published, not so people will read your poem even, but as a stamp of legitimacy. I'm sure that's why we don't read each others' scholarship often. We know it is not meant to be read, but is a stamp of legitimacy for a career.

I have written more poems this week than ever before. After writing my chapbook of bad poems, I invented many Latin American poets and translated their work. It is as easy as taking dictation. Before I even get out of bed I have many ideas. Now if only I could get "published."

No comments: