Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Remembrance of Things Past

Probably misinterpreting something my father told me once (or he could have had it wrong in his head as well) but I grew up thinking that Proust was thinking of Shakespeare's sonnet when he called his saga Remembrance of Things Past. I knew the literal translation of the title is the pedestrian "In search of lost time." It sounds great in French, but I was sure he was anticipating an intelligent translator knowing that he was alluding to Shakespeare.

I'm going to have to get to the bottom of this. Surely "recherche" is more resonant than "search" because of the prefix. It is looking for something again.

No comments: